RE: WindowEyes Getting Script Language

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:06:17 -0600

Rick,
I agree that this sounds promising. I just finished reading the
introduction to Window-Eyes scripting published by GW. Exposing
Window-Eyes objects through COM and letting the script writer choose the
language they are comfortable with certainly adds some flexibility. Of
course it carries the responsibility of being aware of your audience if
you are writing scripts you wish to share. I could probably write some
nice scripts in ruby or AutoIt (and will probably do so for my own use)
but for sharing, I'd want to make sure the script was written in a
language such as VBScript or JScript which I could expect anyone to have
installed. As for your question about .net managed code, I have written
other C# programs which accessed COM objects and the intro from GW says
it will be accessible from .net.

I think this was a very interesting design approach by GW Micro and will
be anxious to see how it pans out. Throwing out a scripting framework
which lets one use things like VBA, VBScript, JScript, and so on
certainly opens the door for the rapid growth of user written and
contributed scripts.