RE: Screen readers and how to develop them: A historical perspective

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:18:28 -0500

But see comparing sighted peoples reading with Braille is not correct.  I
read even when I am not reading Braille.  I understand sentences and
punctuation and spelling even  if I use none of them in my emails.  I am
literate if I got site today I could read the skill is all there.  All
Braille is is a method to read.  So I wish people would stop comparing a
sighted persons not being able to read to a blind persons not being able to
read with Braille.  If I go character by character I could still read and
that would all be me doing it.  Where as a sited person could not do that
even if he heard letter by letter if they didn't know how to read.

Ken