Re: Screen readers and how to develop them: A historical perspective

  • From: "Robert Jaquiss" <rjaquiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:15:49 -0600

Hello Alex:

I certainly agree with you. We are of course suffering from the use of tapes in the sixties. A combination of low expectations, not enough trained teachers and blind children being in public schools all contributed to the mess we have now. It was simply easier and cheaper to show a child how to put on a tape and a pair of headphones.

I certainly hope the cost of braille displays comes down. There is now a Chinese model called the Seika (SP?) that sells for about $4,000. That is certainly less than a $10,000 Brailliant. I'm not sure what it will take to get the price of embossers down. It takes mechanical force to emboss paper and that means heavy parts which are expensive to make.

Regards,

Robert