Re: Screen readers and how to develop them: A historical perspective

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:11:13 +0200

Wow what a lot of fascinating information! Thanks a lot guys. I actually got the original link from the magazine article archive from Jacob on another list and there I replied: "Facinating!" only to read this list to see some other guys had the same responses :-)

Even the comments about the price ha ha.

The other topic that started in this thread, about Braille etc... Well, I tend to agree more with Alex, that reading Braille is a whole different experience than listening. I would not go so far as saying people not making use of Braille are illiterate, but I would encourage everyone to give Braille their best shot. Listening is awesome and more practical than Braille in this day and age, but it's not the same as reading words from paper, and I'm a fairly newcomer to the tactile reading world. I've read here and there that there are some scientific backing for this difference, but I also experienced it myself, a kind of thril, when reading some words as if it just goes streight to your heart / brain. A sort of much more direct input, speaking in a language your brain just gets -- heck Idon't know what it is, but I know it's different.

In closing, here's a link to a summary of speech synthesis recorded in 1986 -- makes for very interesting listening (see the link to the zip file at the end of the page if you want all the samples at once).
http://www.cslu.ogi.edu/tts/research/history/

I think the next big thing in synthetic speech is going to be computer driven mechanical models of the auditory tract if Wikipedia is anything to go by.

Kerneels

On 12/21/2010 3:36 PM, Rasmussen, Lloyd wrote:
Braille produced on computers in the 50's and 60's (for individual use by
programmers) was done by modifying a line printer, putting soft material behind
the paper and hammering out asterisks in a braille pattern.  It only worked on
thin paper, and didn't hold up well.

The first refreshable braille display was made by Oleg Tretiakoff in France in
about 1975.  His company became Elinfa, and his displays eventually ended up at
Triformation Systems (now Enabling Technologies).

After reading that article, I looked up Votrax on Wikipedia and found some
reasonably accurate information.  I Followed that with the Speech Synthesis
History Project of the Smithsonian Institution, cited by the Wikipedia article.
 Between 1986 and 2002 the National Museum of American History collected a lot
of information that would interest blind technology fans.  There you can read
some things about the history of Eloquence, Kurzweil, Votrax, Telesensory
Systems, Infovox, DecTalk, Haskins Laboratories, Bell Labs and other speech
technology research which we take for granted today.

And I also decry the lack of braille instruction and expectations.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.