Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:04:45 -0700

Ok, I've stayed out of this but maybe I'll have a go as well.

First, I think whatever programming classes/resources this young man
might have at his local middle/high school are the way to go.  It's
really tough being self-taught (this I know from experience) & it's
harder still as a very young adult to take that kind of initiative on
one's own.  Yes, I realize there are some very talented young people
on this list who have done that, but they'll tell u, as I will, that
it's a rough row to hoe & not for the faint-of-heart.  The class,
though, may need to somehow be adapted until our young friend gets any
access technology issues that he may encounter resolved.  To minimize
these, a programming language that can be used with console output
might be adviseable.

I myself began programming in Basic back in the dos days.  B4 any1
starts laughing, I did so because my clinical billing program at the
time was unable to do some really basic stuff like sort entries by
date, & I really needed that done for tax purposes, etc.  It also
didn't have an appointment facility.  The truth is I was able to get
those done in a relatively short period of time.  So one has the
satisfaction of being able to accomplish something quickly.

It wasn't too helpful when I started learning C, though, & I initially
found C really frustrating because of the seeming difficulty of
performing even trivial tasks.  Basic at the time had only untyped
global variables, subroutines as opposed to functions, & the concepts
of data types, local variables, functions, & scope, never mind structs
& pointers & unions & linked lists, etc., seemed overwhelming.  Even
seemingly simple string manipulation, which was so easy in basic, was
a real pita in c until I got the hang of it.

I think for a beginner programmer, especially a very young one,
something that will produce nearly instant gratification is probably
the way to go, & it is, I think, why most beginning programmer high
school classes focus on basic or something similar.

I think the National Federation of the Blind also has something called
a "mentors" program, which pairs a blind individual in a given
profession w/another one aspiring to that goal.  Their website is:
www.nfb.org
This is not an endorsement of any organization or programs which they
may sponsor & I possess little or no personal knowledge regarding
either.

Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net