Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:02:47 +0200

Hi Joseph,
Good basic advice. I don't see the connection between HTml and
programming, though:
HTML is easy to pick up even if you could not program, about the only
requirement programming languages and pure HTMl have in common is that
both are nominally strict about syntax.

The problem with screen reader scripting is that that knowledge is
screen reader specific and not widely known in general outside of blind
programming circles. Most programming tutorials I've seen on the Web are
not quite the same thing as a good book would be in scope, writing
style, level of detail and so on.

As with so many other things, I personally prefer to start out by
reading a good book and trying to do some exercises and progs of my own,
in stead of reading someone else's  code and get coding as quickly as
possible. People differ greatly, so for some folks, a more hands-on
approach is certainly better.

Not sure which language but I would get a good book in bookshare or some
equivalent site which:

a. Assumes no prior programming experience.

b. Is written in a simple, easy to digest tutorial style, e.g. learn y
in x days style of books, you might want to try Sams publishing.

c. Has a set of moderately simple exercises that the student can do on
his own.

Back in junior high I  started out with Pascal myself, and it was not
that bad. Then I would dabble in  C on my own and later on, at the Uni,
pick up Java. After that I've gotten into the dynamically typed langs
like Perl and Python.

PS: If a more computer science oriented, pedagogical approach is needed,
there are free Python and Java editions of the book named how to think
like a computer scientist. That book is used in programming courses at
some Unis.

PPS: I learned HTML before I did programming, and never thought about
the two having much in common at all. Of course, JavaScript is another
matter.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila