Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 03:07:12 -0500

I've not dabbled in Python yet. With that disclaimer ut of the way, isn't this possibly an argument in favor of Python being used as an introduction? I did all the programming I've done up until a couple months ago (when I started my first course on it) completely on my own and self taught. One of the hardest things for me to adjust to is formatting properly for sighted readers. My screen reader cared little about white space, and the compiler cared even less. So remembering to format code properly this semester has cost me as much as real programming has. I very much wish the programmer's elements of style were conveyed to me more forcefully early on, and I wonder if this might not just be a feather in Python's cap. Now, as I said, I've not got around to exploring Python, and if it uses indentation rules that vary from the ones that people would typically like to see in other common languages, then I stand corrected. But taken completely on its own, the fact that Python requires indentation hardly seems like it should disqualify it from being a good starting point. The fact that indentation is something that a blind programmer could so easily overlook makes me think that forcing it to be done correctly in the early stages wouldn't be such a bad thing.

*shrug*
A different prospective.

JW

Octavian Rasnita wrote:
Unfortunately Python is one of the most blind-unfriendly languages because of its requirement for indentation, so I don't think a blind person should start programming with python, because she or he might think that the indentation is important for all the languages. Octavian

        From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx