[powerdot] Re: Colour of inactive equation numbers in the itemize environment

  • From: "Hendri Adriaens" <spotje@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: powerdot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:03:05 +0200

Hi all,

The author of xcolor (Uwe Kern) has kindly had a good look at it and
found that amsmath already covers this issue. I could have expected
that we weren't the first to find this :)

Anyway, loading amsmath seems to solve the issue with \normalcolor.
Here is a minimal example. Try commenting amsmath to see the
differences. Please read the details provide by Uwe Kern below.

\documentclass{powerdot}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\begin{document}
\begin{slide}{test}
\begin{itemize}[type=1]
\item 1\pause
\item \onslide*{2}{\color{red}}
\begin{equation}
2
\end{equation}\pause
\item 3
\end{itemize}
\end{slide}
\end{document}

Best,
-Hendri.

-----------------------

From Uwe Kern:

it seems as if the amsmath developers have already addressed the
issue, as can be seen from the following example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}
\color{red}
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
\end{document}

Furthermore, the LaTeX code documentation (ltmath.dtx) says:

<cite>
The document style must define \theequation etc., ...
It should also redefine \@eqnnum if another format for the equation
number is desired other than the standard ...
The equation number is set in black roman type ...
</cite>

This reads to me as if the \normalcolor command within LaTeX's
\@eqnnum definition is a declared feature and not a bug.

It wouldn't make sense for xcolor to change \normalcolor within each
\color command since \normalcolor is designed to enable the user to
restore the main document color (similar to \normalfont which is also
invoked by \@eqnnum).

Conclusion: the user may choose between LaTeX's original behaviour
(black color) or the amsmath variant (current color); no action
required by xcolor.