[phoenix-project] online phoenix

  • From: Arani Chakravarti <arani_chakravarti@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:56:07 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Ajith,

 This is great. I can see that quite a few people want to be able
 to change the capacitance, etc. Probably one relatively simple
 way would be to have a small bank of capacitors (and resistors
 maybe) which can be connected in variable configurations like
 a post-office box (remember the wonderful school days?) with
 the help of cheap MOSFET switches like the CD4066. These
 could, in turn be controlled with the help of the digital outputs
 driving comparators. If the resistance values are quite large,
 the on-resistances of the switches would not matter much.
 Then the game would be relatively more interesting. However,
 there was one comment regarding how one is to know whether
 the experiment was really being done or it was just a case
 of solving the charging equation and displaying the result!
 Welllll ......... `to cheat or not to cheat'.....

 I am currently developing an user-space daemon to run
 phoenix, without using the kernel module. I use the MPI
 libraries to set up the whole system as a cluster (both server
 and client are the same machines at present, but any number
 could be interfaced into one supercomputing cluster). The DAC
 ADC and digital input parts are ready but the digital outputs
 are yet to be set up. To access `ioperm', I run the programme
 through `sudo' and use `setuid' from inside the daemon
 programme to release the privileged root access just after
 the `ioperm' instruction.

 Arani

 Chat on a cool, new interface. No download required. Click here.