[phoenix-project] Re: online phoenix

  • From: Ajith Kumar <ajith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:12:14 +0000

Arani Chakravarti wrote:

Dear All,

I think one of the most important uses of the web-based effort would
be to teach people how to do the same with their own lab set-up, i.e.
the CGI or other programmes, etc. I had a Ph.D. student who was a
school teacher (he is with us now). He could not come to the lab every
day. The web-based approach would allow him to use his slow dial-up
connection from his home to check the status of the run and vary
parameters (temperature, closeness of data points, etc.) from time
to time. This then becomes an enabling technology which opens up
lab experimentation to people who are far away. Collaborators can
also participate in such experiments from different locations. I request
Ajith to make the code available on-line

This is how it is done.
A user named apache is created.
Apache web server is installed. Under Slackware the document root is /vwr/www/htdocs and the 'cgi-script' directory
is /var/www-cgi-bin.
A user named apache is created with  '/var/www/htdocs'  as home directory.
The program <http://www.iuac.res.in/phoenix/cap.py>is kept is cgi-bin directory. It needs a bit of polishing.
That's all about it.
This will be included in the next version of the Phoenix Live CD so that people can try it out by running it on their LAN,
To run on the net you need a static IP address.

ajith

and to write a tutorial on
this; I know he is very busy, but please ..

Arani

Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_mail_1/*http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/>