-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic, remodeling project/home

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:06:26 -0400

> Having grown up in an older city (Philly), I consider a 36 year old house
> as
> still new.       lol
>
> If you were doing the work yourselves (or having it done by a handy family
> member who was only charging you food and beer), I would suggest taking
> things one step at a time.  Since you're looking to hire someone to do the
> work, it will be cheaper to have all tile work done in one shot.  The
> toilet
> will have to be pulled both for the floor and for the wall behind the
> toilet, assuming tile will be going back there.  The sink may or may not
> need to be removed, depending on its style (pedestal sinks should be tiled
> under, enclosures like cabinets are usually tiled around).  Tub and shower
> surrounds require a special type of backing (there are several approaches
> that work very well) to help waterproof the installation and this will
> also
> be considered as part of the tiling install if required.

Hmm, I hadn't considered the toilet and sink and all having to be removed to
do the work.  The sink is an enclosure type cabinet under it, however; she
really needs a new sink also so I guess I'd have to decide or she would if
and when we get a new one, whether it will be cabinet like or pedestal.
What kind of backing are you referring to with the tile that surrounds the
tub area? some kind of waterproof thing?  I am wondering what caused these
tiles to just "cave in".   I went to grab for the one falling and could not
get it and noticed there is space back there for it to fall.  I wondered how
was it staying in place to begin with?  I can see others along the same side
of the wall toward where the tub meets the tile that are starting to cave in
too.

I know you cannot tell me the exact cost but any estimates?  I would say
there are more tiles on the wall than the floor as it is a very small floor.
The tiles are larger on the wall, small on the floor.  How long does a job
like this typically take?  Lowes put down her laminate and it looks like
they did a really good job by the way.  Also I am off work as of last Friday
for the summer so being at moms while they come to work is no problem. Is
the glue they use strong smelling?

Wish you could do the work, I know I could trust you to do a good job and I
love to cook ;0.