-=PCTechTalk=- Re: monitor problem

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:25:59 -0400

Lyn,
    I'm not familiar with the term "chucked a wobbly", but I'm pretty sure I
understand the meaning.        lol

    You didn't tell us HOW you were able to get the monitor to show long
enough to shut down your system, but the fact that it did turn on long
enough is a good sign.  When monitors just 'turn black', my first instinct
is to triple check BOTH ends of the two cables running into the back of the
unit.  As an example, a loose power cord can easily exhibit the symptom you
mentioned.  If that doesn't do the trick, consider taking it to your local
TV repair center so they can test it to see if it's something worth fixing
(most repairs aren't very expensive).  If it's still under warrantee, head
over to the Acer website instead and look into requesting an RA (Return
Authorization) so it can be sent back to Acer for repair/replacement.

    Under NO circumstances should you even consider opening up the monitor
to peek inside yourself.  Monitors use extremely high power capacitors that
can hold a lethal charge long after the unit has been unplugged.  Even
people who specialize in repairing monitors and TVs are leary when working
inside one.

Peace,
GMan