-=PCTechTalk=- Re: blue screen, help

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 00:17:16 -0400

The most important specs on a video card will be the amount of memory
and the GPU.  Second will be its native resolution.  Cards as old as
yours are likely to be limited to resolutions for a 4:3 aspect ratio
monitor instead of the newer widescreen 16:9 ratio.

Gman will be able to provide some specifics for a video card but one
that has at least 512MB and a GeForce 8xxx or 9xxx GPU (or ATI
equivalent) should work well for you as long as it meets any other
specific requirements for your software.

Some video cards come with audio built in.  I've seen this in cards
designed for use in a "high definition" system as a part of a home
entertainment center.  They have HDMI and/or DVI (and VGA of course)
outputs plus 5.1 surround sound outputs.

Unless you need superb audio almost any audio card will provide good
sound and even a few less expensive "good" ones have digital surround
sound outputs.

Rather than searching for all those spec sheets or owner manuals, just
download and run BelArc Advisor or SIW on the machines for a complete
list of whats in them.

Don

cristy wrote:
> HI Don,
>
> I did recently purchase a new laptop computer.  I am still trying to use
> this one though and my vid editing software is on this computer.  I did find
> my manual for this computer I have in "My Docs".  I am looking at the specs
> page.  What would you ened to know?  I will also see if I can find specs on
> my old computer, not sure yet but might be able to.  It was a VPR Matrix.
> The Dell I am using now is about five years old.  The other computer is
> older but I had purchased a newer sound card later after buying it and I had
> a special order for a vid card I wanted at the time it was custom built.  I
> have to search for the specs for that computer.  I have upgraded memory
> though on my Dell so that spec will be off.
>
> christy

in the Subject.