-=PCTechTalk=- Re: blue screen, help

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 12:37:21 -0400

If the "old computer" is older than the one in use, it is doubtful that
either sound or video cards will be much if any better than what you are
currently using.  Compare the specs on both against your current system
before trying them.  Make sure you have or can easily get the correct
drivers.  Also make sure they both (especially the video card) meet the
minimum requirements for all of your software (especially Pinnacle) and
games.

I do not know the age or current state of your system, but as a general
rule I advise my customers to carefully consider buying a new system
rather than spending increasing $$$$ (and time) to keep it updated,
upgraded and running right.   Frequently I can put customers into a new
system with monitor for less than they would need (or want) to spend
over the next few months to maintain and upgrade their  old system.
Unfortunately, for many of them, in today's economy it is easier to pay
a bit now and then to repair or upgrade than it is to pay the larger sum
to buy new.

Don

cristy wrote:
> Thanks Don,
>
> Will do all you said.  I also am wondering about an old vid card I still
> have inside of an old computer that may be able to be used in this computer.
> I have never put a vid card in but have done memory so maybe similar to do?
> I took pics of the old card in my old computer and will upload later to our
> site for pics here to see which is the vid card and I also have an old sound
> card in there both are probably better than what is in this one but will
> see.  This system has windows XP home on it and I believe I have 2 gigs of
> RAM.  I have 17.2 gig free space on hard drive.  How can I see how much
> memory it is showing I have?
>
> thanks,
>
> christy

in the Subject.