-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Trouble with USB Please help!

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:20:27 -0400

The obvious answer is that something on your computer is expecting to see a
disc in Drive F: and it is not seeing it.

What is telling you to insert the disc?  The Operating System?  or something
else?

What kind of drive is Drive F:?  How does Drive G: fit into this problem?

The "USB drive icon" sounds like the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon.  That
icon exists whenever ANY device is plugged into a USB port.  It may also
appear even if a device is not plugged in if you have "mounted" a USB device
to assign a specific drive letter to it. (I'm not sure about that as I have
never mounted anything)

If it is not the Safely Remove Hardware icon, is it a U3 icon?  Is it some
other third party icon?

If you safely remove the drive, re-boot the computer and then re-install the
device (in a different port) does the problem go away?

Is the device directly plugged into a port or is it connected through a
cable, like a camera or a USB extension cable?

Is it plugged into a port on your monitor or keyboard or anywhere else
except the *back* of your computer?

Don