-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Still Ram problem

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:33:45 -0500

good to see you back ns!  I've been wondering if you ever got this resolved
or not...

everything I am reading now says that 512 is too much ram for win9x... but I
know I had 2/256 sticks in my machine before I went with win2k.  [GMan - I'm
still gonna do a triple boot soon! 98/2k/xp]  even tho I didn't see any
system speed improvement from 256 to 512.

I still think that this problem is because of NVRAM settings... the
following is used mainly to fix shutdown issues with 98, but try it
anyhow... can't hurt and you can always change it back:
*disabling the NVRAM/ESCD updates feature: Right-click on My Computer, click
Properties, click the Device Manager tab, double-click System Devices, click
Plug and Play BIOS, and on the Settings tab click to select the "Disable
NVRAM/ESCD Updates" check box on the Settings tab. Click OK* and reboot.
[from http://www.aumha.org/kb.htm]

if that doesn't work, MS has a few solutions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;q146912

let us know if any of these work ok?

~s

----- From: "nightsneak"