-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Recommendations on VHS to Digital?

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:51:09 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 12:57 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Recommendations on VHS to Digital?

> Any recommendations on VERY GOOD hardware for transfering video from VHS
to digital, so I can burn them to DVD?

Lots of stuff available, but my own preference is via my TV/FM  card via the
video input which I have connected to my worldwide standard VCR.  Using
Virtual Dub I can grab to .avi at high resolution (up to 704 x 576) with
minimal dropped frames, then I use TMPGEnc Pro to convert to whichever type
of disc I'm creating (VCD, SVCD or DVD)

There are USB devices that work ok too, but I'd steer clear of anything
which converts direct to MPEG2. The quality simply will not be as good as
grabbing in .AVI format, then converting to MPEG2 (i.e. the type of video
DVD uses). OK, it's longer winded, and you need LOTS of hard drive space,
but the results are far, far better.

Always remember-'Garbage in=Garbage out'..VHS, even good VHS taped off air
will only have around 300 lines of resolution-professionally recorded VHS is
a little higher, but not a lot, so you reach a point where grabbing at such
a high resolution is pointless.

I do a lot of this kind of stuff, and the most important factors are

* LOTS of hard disc space
* LOTS of hard disc space (It's worth repeating!!) 15-20 gb of space for 1
hour of high res, high quality video capture.
*Defrag the space you use for capturing on a regular basis- I do it 3 or 4
times a week, or every day if I'm doing a lot of capturing-it really does
matter when it comes to cutting down on dropped frames.
* Good compression. Lots of compression codecs around, the best two are
Huffyluv and Pic-Video MJPEG. Huffyluv  creates considerably larger files
than MJPEG, but I honestly don't see any difference between the two in terms
of quality of output.
*A good connection to the source you are recording from-s-video or phono
input will give better picture quality.
*NTFS Files system..this is VERY IMPORTANT..if you are on FAT32, the most
you can capture in one session  is 4 gb-that's  about 15 minutes if you are
grabbing at the highest resolution.
*Did I mention LOTS of hard, oft-defragged hard disc space?

Hope that helps, if you want any other info, just ask!

Andy