-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:13:29 -0400

Hi Ann,
    Keven hit just about all of the high points in his reply, but there are
two things I'd like to clarify a little.

    What you're seeing in the download box is represented in kB/s (spoken as
kilobytes per second).  On the other hand, your ISP is describing your
connection speed to them in Mbps, Mb/s, Mbit/s or Megabits per second (all
mean the same thing).

    Since 8 bits = 1 byte, you're total speed of 1.5Mbps (Megabits per
second) can also be expressed as 1,500,000/8 = 187.5kB/s (kilobytes per
second).  Your download window is reporting in this seemingly lower figure.
If you're seeing speeds that are beyond 187.5kB/s, you're actually getting
more than the rated speed of your connection.

    Kevin mentioned this next one, but I don't think he was loud enough
about it.  The top speed ability of your connection to the network is shown
as 100Mbit/s (Megabits per second).  Your ISP connection is rated at
1.5Mbit/s (Megabits per second).  There is no way that your internet
connection will saturate your network card's abilities since it's only 1.5%
of the total speed the network can handle.  It would take 67 internet
connections at that speed (1.5Mbit/s) to do so.       :O)

    And I agree that the tech you spoke with should seriously consider
getting out of the business before he does harm to someone's computer.  It
may already be too late.     lol

Peace,
Gman