-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Question

  • From: "Kevin Flowers" <kevin.f.flowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:15:23 -0400

To clear some things up for you.

I am going through a router that shows in the taskbar as a 100mps
connection -   What this is actually showing you the connection speed of
the NIC or network car in your computer to your router.  Data is
transferred there at 100mb/s.

Would going through the router slow the speed down.  -  Yes.  But that
is the case is all connections.  And is normal.  There is not to many
100mb/s connections out to the internet. So you don't need to worry too
much about that type of slow down.  Your router speed to the internet is
dictated by your ISP speed throttling agent and has you set at 1.5mb/s
as you stated. Nothing you can do about that.

If I were to bypass the router and go direct when I want to download
large files pick my speed up? -  You really can't bypass the router,
unless your cable modem or DSL modem has a Ethernet port for you to
connect directly to your computer.  Most do some also have a USB port as
well.  To answer your question, it could be yes and no.  for the yes
answer - going directly through you modem could allow a faster speed as
your bypassing your router and just have the modem route to the net.
The speed pick up could be small or large, it's hard to tell.  Also, the
sites where you are downloading from may have throttling set so you can
download at high speed. If you do have a faster speed it could be that
your router is bad.  (communications between the router and modem are
being sent around your network or not responding to each other
efficiently enough)  I don't know how many computers you have on you
network, but there could be congestion within it that is causing your
traffic flow.    For the No answer - Your connection to the net could be
1.5mb/s but wherever you download from they might have downloads speeds
set lower.  You can do a internet speed test to actually check you
advertised speed. I use http://www.speedtest.net/ .  Once you use this
site, you will see how your speed can vary across the net.

does the speed of my computer have anything to do with my download speed
-  There is no relation between the speed of you computer and your
download speed.  The speed of your computer is the speed it runs within
itself.  Once the data hits your network interface card (NIC)from your
computer, the speed is of the speed of the NIC, in your case 100mb/s to
your next device, your router.  From that device, your router and to
your modem, is probably 100mb/s.  From your modem the speed is
determined by your ISP and goes  out to where ever it goes.

I hope this helps a bit.

One last note,  if your guys at your ISP could not answer your
questions, they need to either get new jobs or should have at least
escalated them or were just lazy and didn't want to. If lazy is the
case, they need to find a new line of work.  The questions you have a
ones that any tech support person should be able to answer.   I hope you
don't have to call them often.