-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Outlook Express Question

  • From: "DSWabc" <dswabc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:11:29 -0500

Outlook Express allows a user to specify a totally different address than
the sending address to get replies sent to.

Example...  you have two addresses....  abc@xxxxxxx and xyz@xxxxxxxx

You can set either account to be the default address and either asddress can
be used as the "reply to" address in either or both accounts.

So messages sent from abc@xxxxxxx  can have a reply to address of
xyz@xxxxxxxx  At the same time, the xyz account can also have the xyz
address as the reply to address.  Or they could both have abc@xxxxxxx as a
reply to address.

Open the email account and look at the General tab in properties.  About 2/3
of the way day there is a space to enter a "reply to"  address that need not
be the same as the account email address.  If there is an address here, and
there need not be, then that is the address where replies to your messages
will be sent.  If there is no address, the accounts address will be the
default reply to address.

Go to sent items folder, find a message sent from the same account as above,
right click on it and select properties.  Click the details tab.  Scroll
down through the headers until you find the Reply-to: line.  This should be
the same address you found above or the accounts email address if there was
no address found above.   You may find this easier to do if you click the
message source button and maximize the screen.

Replies will always be sent to the reply to address.  When someone replies
to a reply,  that reply is sent using the account address the message being
replied to was sent to.

Example.  You send a message to 123@xxxxxxx using your default account of
abc@xxxxxxxx  That account is configured for replies to be sent to
xyz@xxxxxxxx  When you reply to that reply, it will be sent from xyz@xxxxxxx
even though abc@xxxxxxx is your default.

If you are not confused enough, please repeat the question.

 :-))

Don