-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Outlook Express Question

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:54:51 -0500

Hi Don,
    The line "... when the person hits reply, their from line shows an
entirely different email they have" in Judith's original post explains the
issue clearly to me.  It could just be clear to me because I have had the
same exact problem several times since I started using OE many moons ago.  I
know from my own experience with it that it's not limited to a certain
version of OE, but I have never been able to establish anything resembling a
pattern that causes the problem.  To that end, I am also having a hard time
imagining how OE could make that mistake.

    In my experiences with this, there seemed to be absolutely nothing wrong
with ANY part of the messages.  In fact, I even tested it on a PCTT post
that I had already replied to previously.  The original reply (sent weeks
earlier) worked fine, but the second test attempt brought up a different
account of mine in the From field.  On that occasion, the problem was only
affecting a small group of consecutive posts (by date) inside a single
subfolder (my main PCTT folder).  Since they were old posts, I just forgot
about it after a while.  But it later dawned on me that a bunch of
consecutive posts inside a single subfolder in OE means that it could be a
problem with a small part of the DBX file that is used for storing those
messages.  It makes sense that those messages would be right next to each
other in the DBX file since they came into the file at, or close to, the
same time frame.  So, if it's a corruption issue, compacting them MIGHT have
the effect of cleaning up the issue.  Of course, I would first run CHKDSK on
that drive to ensure that the data is as clean as it can be before the
compact process starts trying to manipulate them.

    Finally, I have never done anything to look into this problem other than
experiment.            lol

Peace,
GMan

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"