-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Outlook Express Question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:27:29 -0400

Larry,
    Unless I'm misreading it, he's asking about files and folders he's
seeing on the hard drive (probably using Windows Explorer) and not within
OE.  If that's the case, he's not providing quite enough info on what's
there.

    Specifically, I'd need to know the full names of these files & folders
before I'll have a clear image of what is there.  My guess is that one of
the files is a .DBX store file that corresponds to a folder he has inside OE
named after himself while the other is the same thing except that it serves
as the store for an OE folder called Administrator, but guessing won't get
him a definitive answer.  It could also be that these Inbox files are in two
different folders on the hard drive and that would change everything I just
said.

    What I CAN say with authority is that these files are the ones that
contain all of the email messages that he sees when he opens OE.  If he
deletes them, those messages inside OE will be gone, too.  The better
approach would be to open up OE and go through the messages.  Any messages
that he doesn't wish to keep can be deleted (after first saving any
attachments he wants to keep to his hard drive) and then compact the OE
folders (File > Folder > Compact All Folders) to shrink down those DBX
files.  It's most likely the attachments that are inflating the files he's
asking about.