-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fonts Tutorial

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 03:21:46 -0500

Sandi,
    I will never suggest abandoning a poor, lost & helpless font without
first trying to repair the damage (or at least seeing what happens when the
procedure is reversed).  I just checked the single font that I experimented
on and the one in the Windows Fonts folder is still showing as a shortcut
with a path statement back to my font storage folder (although it weighs in
at the full size of the original font), while the original font in that
storage folder is still completely intact and showing no worse for wear.
This does make me wonder why it would act differently on your machine.
You're absolutely sure that no copy (shortcut or otherwise) is showing a
decent size for the font?  Try running CHKDSK to see if perhaps the font has
been the victim of corruption.  It's also possible that the font may have
somehow moved itself into your main Temp folder (usually found at
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp) or even in the
Temporary Internet Files folder.  That last location is difficult to
examine, so I use ACDSee (an image viewer app) to look through the contents
every once in a while.  If you already have a decent 3rd party image viewing
app installed, see if it'll allow you to see all of the files in there.  You
may have to change the options to show hidden files and to not exclude
non-images.

    Of course, it might also be related to the length of the path to your My
Docs folder since path statements in RAM are limited (different versions of
Windows have different limits).  But this is extremely easy to fix.  Using
Windows Explorer, go to Documents and Setting > Joyce, Right grab (use the
Right mouse button) the My Documents folder and drag it to another location.
When you let go, choose Move form the context menu.  The Registry will
automatically update itself with the new location and nothing else needs to
be done to confirm it (this also works for your Favorites folder, if you're
interested).  My strongest suggestion would be to move it to the root
directory of a different partition so that it's protected just in case of a
possible future corrupted Windows installation.  If you Move it directly off
the root folder (i.e. D:\My Documents), the path will have shrunk by 26
characters.  You can make it even shorter by renaming the folder to
something like "MyDocs" which will shrink it another 6 characters.

    Incidentally, I can send you the Emerald Isle font if you find that
you're unable to recover your copy of it.        :O)

Peace,
GMan

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"