-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Old computer question

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:45:47 -0500

That computer should run Windows 95 and access the internet.  Will it be=
 fast?  No!  It will also occasionally lock up.  I've run similar machines=
 on 95.  You need 8 Mb RAM to run it, 16 will work fairly well, 32 will=
 make it about as good as you can reasonably expect.  8 is very iffy and=
 causes lots of problems.  If the HD is small, then it may not run, 'cause=
 if you don't have RAM, you need a huge swap file.  With a small and/or=
 slow hard drive it won't be much fun.

DOS would be a bear to set up for internet access.  Win 3.1 won't be a=
 peach, but it will work.  You'll have to dig around for a copy of Trumpet=
 Winsock.  You could maybe find 3.1 on ebay or maybe a neighborhood geek.=
  I just gave away my copy about a year ago.  I'm about ready to give away=
 my 95 as well, because nothing I have anymore needs it and a friend of=
 mine has a similar machine.  It works on his with 8 Mb of RAM and a 300 Mb=
 HD.  Doesn't work pretty, but it works.

The best use for that machine would be a DOS or Linux box...or maybe a dumb=
 terminal on a network.  I have one that runs crappy DOS games for my 6 and=
 7 year old kids.  They can't hurt it and they have fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=
~~~~~~~~~

On 10/17/2002 at 11:23 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Jo Ann=
 Weaver was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  I'm sure he couldn't handle Dos. I've been using
          |  Windows for two years an=3D
          |  Dos is still greek to me, and I'm the one who has to teach him
          |  the basics=3D
          |  =3D2E=3D0D
          |  Jo Ann=3D0D
          |  =3D0D
          |  =3D0D
          |  =3D0D
          |  =3D0D
          |  =3D0D
          |  This is not what you want to hear, but could that man use just
          |  a Dos syst=3D
          |  em =3D0D
          |  or a 3.1 Windows? (I don't like to suggest Windows 3.1, but if
          |  it solves =3D
          |  a =3D0D
          |  problem then it might be worthwhile. Where would you get it, I
          |  wonder?)=3D0D
          |  =3D0D
          |  Robert=3D0D

*******
All the preceding is solely my own opinion not necessarily held by any=
 other person in any other place at any other time.  No warranty express or=
 implied.  Author takes no responsibility for the accuracy or usefulness of=
 this or any rebutttal information.  If you do not agree with this post,=
 please click delete and move on.