-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OE and links

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:14:59 +0100

On 12 Apr 2005 at 19:13, cristy wrote:
> Thanks Faustus,
> I may try that.  Any that you recommend yourself?

It's no secret that I like Firefox.  :)

http://www.mozilla.org/

Besides the security and "tweakability", the other big bonus is that
this browser is FAST. When I first used it on dial-up, I couldn't
believe how quick it was in loading picture-heavy pages, compared to
IE. You can make a number of modifications to make it even quicker.

> What do you mean by "plugins".

In that instance I was using the term "plugins" in a generic sense,
meaning any and all small programs that give extra features to the
browser. They can be written and distributed by the program creators,
or users like you and me.

>  I think maybe some years ago I d/led "opera" browser and
> tried it.

It's a very good browser, I tried it for a while, myself.

> Will it interefere if you dont remove IE6 and still use another

You can quite happily have 100 other browsers installed on your
machine. Just make sure you have your e-mail program set to open
links in the browser you want.

Removing IE is not something I would recommend. It's quite
complicated, there's no way to _totally_ remove it, and too many
other programs rely on bits of it being around.

You will need to keep IE in any case to access websites that require
ActiveX functionality, as Firefox does not support it.

Faustus