-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Networking help needed

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:59:29 -0600

Sorry...this message got away from me, I thought it was in my drafts folder.
Ah well. I see it has a bunch of equal signs, that's the first time that has
happened to me.

Any way, I was able to get the new machine online by connecting the Network
Cable from the router to the new machine. Apparently, XP did all the work!
After I got the error message on the old machine, I shut everything down and
after rebooting both computers, the Internet connection is now working on
both of these. However, my grandson says his won't connect. I will have to
check that out. Maybe if I shut down all 3 computers, unplug the router and
the cable modem...then reboot all 3,  everything will magically untangle
itself.

In fact, this message is coming from the new  machine.

But I am still puzzled about how I will set up being able to transfer files
from the old computer to the new one. I don't want to physically transfer
the hard drive except as a last resort.

I still have the Cat 5e Crossover Cable, the ends look the same. Would I
have to replace the Network Cable with this one to transfer files from one
computer to the other? There is only one place for that kind of cable. Can
it be done with USB cables?

Again TIA,

Sammi