-=PCTechTalk=- Networking help needed

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:04:57 -0600

I hope that I can explain my problem well enough so that I can get some =
help.

I have a computer running W98 P2, first edition and using cable modem. I =
installed a Net Gear router.
On this computer I do all my business tasks, pay bills, do my banking =
etc.

My grandson has an emachine running W98  SE with a wireless card that I =
installed.
He uses my cable connection to connect to the Internet. But no file =
sharing is enabled.
No problems so far for over a year.

Now for my problem:
I have just purchased a new Dell P4 XP Home-SP2 with a network card =
already installed.
I want to be able to transfer files from the old computer to the new =
one.

I purchased a network cable, plugged it into my router and then into the =
XP computer.
Immediately I got an error on the business machine  (W98 FE) that said:
"The system has detected a conflict for IP Address 192.168.0.2 with the =
system having hardware address 00:13:20:5D:6C:7F.

I understand that it would be a better choice to have the XP computer as =
the main central point. And after I get more comfortable with it I plan =
on doing that. But I must be sure first that I can do my business tasks =
that require me to be online. Plus I don't want to mess up my grandson's =
wireless settings.

Is it possible that all I need to do is configure my router to accept =
this new computer? I believe I did this to get my grandson's machine to =
access my connection. But I'm drawing a blank when I try to remember how =
I did it.

I also have a Cat 5e Crossover Cable, so would it be possible to connect =
computer to computer to transfer the files from the W98 FE to the XP =
Home computer? If so, do I have to do any configuring on both machines?

If someone could get me started or send me to a tutorial web site I =
would appreciate it. I think the thing that is bothering me most is the =
difference between the OS's on both machines. I feel lost, LOL.

TIA,

Sammi