-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Networking help needed

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:13:58 -0600

I am one happy camper now! I am transferring files from the old pc to the
new pc for the first time since I started this task. Thanks to all who tried
to help me.

Quite frankly, it must have been friendly computer gnomes who visited in the
middle of the night to fix what I had messed up...or it was a firewall
issue, or ...and on and on. Whatever it was, it's working great now!

Sammi

Hi Chris,

I have not received hardly any email from PCtechTalk until today, either my
end was messed up or the list was down. It made me happy to see a few
messages from the list this morning! Especially yours.

Here is what I have learned. The "MR814" icon is my router, the MR814 is the
model. I have unique names for each computer and we both belong to the same
workgroup.

I have gone to your site to have a look at your screenshot, but I can't read
it, might be too much compression. but I'm going to look at it with my old
computer and see if that helps. Yep! I can see it fine on the old monitor.

I can ping the router on both pc's and that is what the IP addy of
192.168.0.1 is--the router. I cannot ping either pc from the other, it times
out. So novice that I am, even I know that the two pc's are not
communicating with one another.

In "My Network Places" (which seems to take a very long time to show up) I
can usually see the icons for both computers. But right now. and I have just
booted up, I'm getting this message:

"Our Happy Home" (being the workgroup name) is not accessible. (dumb name,
lol) You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

At the present time, the only thing I see in My Network Places is a shared
documents folder on the XP pc. Yesterday I could see icons and names for
both computers. Is it common for this to take so long to show up?

In Total Commander, I see Microsoft Windows Network, then workgroup
name...but still getting the error message above about the list of servers
for this workgroup not being currently available.

A friend of mine in another country (!) recommended that I download a
shareware program, "Total Commander" to use to transfer files and see both
computers. I have and it looks like it will be good to use, once this
networking problem is solved.

Things I have tried:
Disabled Windows Firewall on XP
Turned off Norton's Firewall on XP
Turned off Zone Alarm on W98 first edition
Turned off Pc-cillin's Firewall on W98

Aha! I can now see the icon for W98 in the workgroup now in Total Commander.
And now in XP's Workgroup window.

OH MY GOODNESS! I can actually for the very first time see some folders on
the W98 pc from the XP machine!! I am so excited, except that it is asking
me for a password and I will have to look in my copious notes to see what
the heck I might have used! Oh brother, what if I cannot find or remember my
password?!? Maybe a little caffeine will jog my memory! I'll send this and
get back to you after I figure the password thing out. What a dummy I am!

I suspect now, that it might have been a firewall issue, but without some
experimenting I won't know for sure. But, with all the recent hub-bub in the
news about virii spreading, I feel pretty unprotected. Hopefully the
router's firewall will help me out.

I'll be posting again soon. Thanks for the help Chris!

Sammi

I believe the globe icon is a ftp site - ignore it for now
If I look in my network places I see - (screenshot)
http://www.spotta.com/images/networkplaces.jpg
underneath network places you will see 'microsoft windows network and
underneath that the workgroup (in my case n-e-t-working) all computers must
belong to the same workgroup and then underneath the workgroup should be all
the computers on the network that are currently on.
Have a look at yours and post back

Chris
callto://spotta/
chris@xxxxxxxxxx