-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Manually deleting temporary Internet files

  • From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 02:48:13 -0400

Hi Connie,
    I seriously doubt it.  All of the files found in the TIF folder are
files that were downloaded by you or your browser at one time or another.
Most of them are there because you simply visited a number of web pages (the
files are needed to show each page in your browser).  Multiply that over
many pages and it's easy to see how you can easily have thousands of files
in there.  On the other hand, many of the files you can download (drivers,
documents, sounds, movies, etc.) will also show up in there.

    Run another search on that folder and manually delete all of the files
you find in there.  If they don't all disappear, try pressing the Find or
Search button again (to refresh the list) and delete the remainder.  If they
still don't want to leave, refresh the list again and then click directly on
one of the files and try to delete it by itself.  Keep in mind that some of
the files you find in there should not be deleted.  These include the
'index.dat' file (which won't allow itself to be deleted as long as Windows
is running) as well as the 'desktop.ini' files (which are used to help
control the subfolders inside the TIF folder).  IF you inadvertently delete
any of the 'desktop.ini' files, Windows will recreate them as needed.
However, that will result in the creation of more TIF subfolders while the
old ones will no longer be used (which isn't really a big deal, but who
wants excess folders, right?         lol).

    Once ALL of the files (other than those mentioned above) are gone,
reboot and then surf to any web page of your choice.  After it fully loads,
close your browser and then try the Internet Tools applet again.  I don't
expect it to work any better, but we should still rule it out as the cause
of the problem.  In the meantime, I'm trying to track down any other
instance of this kind of problem to see what might fix it completely.
:O)

Peace,
G Man

PCTechTalk Owner