-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Flash Drive

  • From: <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:53:04 -0400

Vista uses the readyboost memory instead of hard drive space to store part
of your cache.  The smaller files are placed in readyboost since it would be
much faster than a typical hard drive.  Larger files still use the hard
drive cache.  Vista decides what is larger and what is smaller.

Vista will automatically check any memory card, thumb drive or other USB
drive to see if it is suitable to use for readyboost.   If it is, cool.  If
not, it will tell you so.

Obviously, you don't want to use a typical run of the mill memory card or
drive as they are very slow.  Buy a high speed card or an "Enhanced for
ReadyBoost" USB drive.  Get the one with the fastest read/write speeds.

Note:  most packaging for these devices do NOT list read/write speeds.  Do
your homework before buying.

Note:  SD cards at 4GB or higher capacity are actually SDHC cards.  SDHC
cards will work properly only in SDHC capable devices.  I do not know how an
SD card reader or SD camera would react to an SDHC card.  SD cards work fine
in SDHC devices.

Don