-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Emailing: aboutcdfaq

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 00:36:54 -0400

If your description of your problem is acurrate, then I would be inclined to
say no.  (The hotfix is for a problem that is described as "programs
unexpectedly stop during initialization without providing any error
messages".  Your problem is described as "there is no way that Nero or XP
recognize that the CD is inserted".  These are two very distinctly different
problems.)

Windows Update KB917422 was issued in August of 2006.  If you run update as
regularly as you should, it was probably installed several months ago.
Unless you delayed installing it until recently or your problem started
months ago, then I would be inclined to say no.

If you rolled your system back to a restore point before the problem started
and the problem went away then I would be inclined to say that the "LAST
FIX" is the culprit.  If the LAST FIX is the update in question I would be
inclined to say yes.

I do not think it would do any harm to install the hotfix in any case.

Don