-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dana's dell

  • From: Dana Johnson <tigergurl49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Don Wilcox <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> before beginning either the simulation or the real
> install.
>
> 3.  Once we begin the actual process it will be
> impossible for you to use your computer for email
> purposes until we are about 80% complete.  It will
> be very comforting to know you have access to a
> second computer where you can send/receive email
> even if only off list.  A library or other public
> access computer will be adequate.  A personal
> friend's computer or an old door stop in your closet
> will work as well.  If you set up a free email
> account somewhere or "borrow" a friends email
> address, please be sure to share it with me before
> we start.  If possible subscribe the address (at
> least temporarily) to this list.  To have a spare
> computer beside you as we work would be sublime.
>
> 4.  Reminder:  The recovery process will totally
> eliminate everything on your hard drive.  Please do
> NOT underestimate the meaning of the words
> "eliminate" and "everything".  Review the contents
> of your hard drive before we begin.  Copy anything
> and everything you want to keep to another disk of
> some sort such as a different harddrive, CD, DVD,
> Floppy disk or a Flash drive.
>
> 5.  You should have disks with the following items
> on them.  The disk names may vary but the keywords
> will be on them.
>
>     a. System disk or Windows installation disk.
>     b. Driver disk  might be called Resource or
> support
>     c. Software or Application disk(s).  These have
> miscellaneous software... Roxio or Sonic CD/DVD
> software (CD/DVD burning software), MS Works or
> WordPerfect Office Suite, Monitor documentation,
> Modem installation disk, CyberLink PowerDVD (DVD
> movie watching software) disk and other stuff you
> might need or want to install.
>     d. Dell support disk.  might be on the Resource
> or support disk.
>     e. Other disks:  If you have installed
> additional hardware items such as printer, scanner,
> external drive, router, network adapter, etc you
> will want the install disks that came with them.
>

> Process Overview
>
> During the process we may encounter options to
> select.  Normally, the default option will do.  I
> can not remember every option so this is where
> having someone with some experience with you will
> help.  As a general rule (and to keep it simple) you
> will accept the default option.  When the choice is
> "typical" installation or minimum installation or
> full installation, choose full.  Choose "custom"
> only if know what you want and don't want installed.
>
> 1. Install Windows.  We will use the system disk to
> first remove and replace partitions (if necessary)
> and then format the hard drive.  We will then
> proceed to install Windows.
>
> 2.  Next we will install your drivers
>
> 3.  Then your security software
>
> 4. Then the rest of your software
>
> 5. Then we will connect to the internet and install
> updates for Windows and for your security software.

   Hey Don
  Sorry about the air conditioning. I have those
moments too. Went to Wal-marts today and when I came
out with my groceries, got in the car to come home and
guess what the car battery was dead. Wouldn't start at
all. So there I am, stranded . I had to get someone to
jump start my car.And then had to buy a new battery.So
I had a weekend similar to yours.

  I have access to my Mom's computer using my yahoo
email. So I can receive my email on her computer.I am
on her now. Just keep sending the email as you have
been.
   I am awaiting your instructions so I can get
started. It will be next Saturday before I have time
to settle down and start on this. So you have plenty
of time.
   So you have a Miller on me.

                                  Dana

> .