-=PCTechTalk=- Dana's dell

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:37:13 -0400

Dana,

We were without air conditioning Wed, Thu and most of Friday and then an out of
town friend came for a visit so I did not get the instructions started.  It
will be tonight or tomorrow morning at the earliest before I can get to it.

Until then...

1.  Think again about what is on your computer that you may need to save.  This
might include e-mail, internet favorites, pictures, and downloaded files and
programs.

2.  I will write the instructions out in a series of emails.  You can then read
one, simulate performing the steps and then ask questions before moving on to
the next one.  I suggest you read through them all before beginning either the
simulation or the real install.

3.  Once we begin the actual process it will be impossible for you to use your
computer for email purposes until we are about 80% complete.  It will be very
comforting to know you have access to a second computer where you can
send/receive email even if only off list.  A library or other public access
computer will be adequate.  A personal friend's computer or an old door stop in
your closet will work as well.  If you set up a free email account somewhere or
"borrow" a friends email address, please be sure to share it with me before we
start.  If possible subscribe the address (at least temporarily) to this list.
To have a spare computer beside you as we work would be sublime.

4.  Reminder:  The recovery process will totally eliminate everything on your
hard drive.  Please do NOT underestimate the meaning of the words "eliminate"
and "everything".  Review the contents of your hard drive before we begin.
Copy anything and everything you want to keep to another disk of some sort such
as a different harddrive, CD, DVD, Floppy disk or a Flash drive.

5.  You should have disks with the following items on them.  The disk names may
vary but the keywords will be on them.

    a. System disk or Windows installation disk.
    b. Driver disk  might be called Resource or support
    c. Software or Application disk(s).  These have miscellaneous software...
Roxio or Sonic CD/DVD software (CD/DVD burning software), MS Works or
WordPerfect Office Suite, Monitor documentation, Modem installation disk,
CyberLink PowerDVD (DVD movie watching software) disk and other stuff you might
need or want to install.
    d. Dell support disk.  might be on the Resource or support disk.
    e. Other disks:  If you have installed additional hardware items such as
printer, scanner, external drive, router, network adapter, etc you will want
the install disks that came with them.

Process Overview

During the process we may encounter options to select.  Normally, the default
option will do.  I can not remember every option so this is where having
someone with some experience with you will help.  As a general rule (and to
keep it simple) you will accept the default option.  When the choice is
"typical" installation or minimum installation or full installation, choose
full.  Choose "custom" only if know what you want and don't want installed.

1. Install Windows.  We will use the system disk to first remove and replace
partitions (if necessary) and then format the hard drive.  We will then proceed
to install Windows.

2.  Next we will install your drivers

3.  Then your security software

4. Then the rest of your software

5. Then we will connect to the internet and install updates for Windows and for
your security software.

6.  Then it is Miller Time.

Don