-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CR-RWR freezes system WINMe

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:28:00 EST

Hiya Guys

Well, when we got back from three hours at Carol's, I logged on with this
laptop briefly and then made dinner. No problem.

After dinner, this Gateway Solo 9150 had a major temper tantrum.

Went through boot up and the two WIN splash screens as usual, then, I got
vertical colorful stripes of varying widths in the center 50% of this 15" TFT
screen.

When WIN was fully loaded it was collapsed and shimmering in about one inch
on the left side of the screen. The center of the screen still fully adorned
with the colorful vertical stripes.

It really did not want to reboot, but reluctantly did.

We went through this same sceanario three or four times, then I pulled the
plug and pouted.

A while later, I powered up again and it was as if the preceeding scenario
never happened.

Any ideas other than jealousy? I did not take the laptop with me today.

Now, The Carol Report.

As you recall, Wednesday it took hours to get the system somewhat stable and
the Norton download issue resolved.
Today, I ended up phoning tech support because I did not want to crack the
case without approval.
To make a long story short, we ended up removing the CMOS battery. While in
the case I reseated all cables and connectors only to find that the hard
drive cable was barely attached to the motherboard.
So then the floppy drive worked but the Cd still did not.
So, disconnected the cd cable....... hardware bad!
And, the two techs I worked with BOTH insisted that I run the Restore
disk!!!!! This was before we isolated the hardware problems.

Goog golly! What a cop out. Glad I was doing this troubleshooting and not
Carol. So we avoided having to reload all software and files.

Thanks again for all your help
Charlie's Mom   >

In a message dated 1/16/03 2:42:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I'd also run an online scan for viruses.
>
> http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
> Peace,
> GMan
>
> PCTT Owner