-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CD Burner(2)

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:27:18 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "DH (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PCTT" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 11:36 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- CD Burner(2)

> Hi everybody,
>
> My CD Writer - is it playing up, or what?  In  WinMe and when trying to
> write to CD's I've been getting a small window headed 'Insert Disk' and
> below:
> 'The shortcut "E'.lnk' refers to a location that is unavailable.  The
> location could be on a hard drive on this computer, on a network or on a
> different computer on your home network.  Check to make sure that the
> disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or
> home network, then try again'.
>
> A right click and then 'Open' and I get a request to insert a disk into
> Drive 'A''
>
> I have been getting this when I try to open CD-R's and CD-RW's that I
> have previously written to, sometimes more than  once. in the case of
> the re-writables.
>
> I took some disks to a friends today and got similar results on his
> computer(Win98SE). This, I figured indicated that the CD's were to
> blame.  I called in and bought a pack of 5 Mitsubishi CD-RW's from a
> local store and when I got home, I tried to use one of the disks, but
> obtained exactly the same results. The same with a second brand new disk.
>
> Now if I go to Desktop/MyComputer/Edrive/Properties the graphic is Blue
> for full, but the 'Used Space' and the 'Free Space'
> each show 0 bytes.  I can't get to the 'Format' feature as the disks may
> need this.
>
> Any thoughts or assistance or suggestions, please?

Chances are, you have finalised the discs when you've written them. When you
write a disc, you should get the option of  close session and leave disc
open or close session and finalise disc...If you don't select the first
option, the disc will be finalised and you can't write anything else to it,
even if all of the disc isn't used.

Take one of your CD-RW's that this is happening with (NOT a CD-r) and
transfer everything off it to your hard drive...then open the writing
software you use, and, with the CD-RW in your CD Writer, choose the 'Erase
Disc' function.. when that is done (If you get the option, just use the
'Quick Erase' function), reburn the disc with the info you've just saved to
your hard drive, but MAKE SURE that in the settings, you choose the 'Leave
disc open' option..it may be a little bit hidden, depending on what software
you are using, but it will be there

When it's burnt, you should find that you can burn to that disc with another
session. Mind you, if you are sharing the disc, it's good practise to close
it as some CD Roms will not be able to read discs that are not finalised.

Cheers

Andy