-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Buying New PC - would like advice

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:48:43 -0500

Robin,

On question one "1) Is there any noticeable
difference between a 2.40 GHz processor and a 2.66Ghz? (The cost
difference from Dell is substantial - $560)", I'd say for the kinds
of things you're doing, I'd say you probably would never see a
difference.  Though you use Paint Shop Pro, I'm assuming it's for
fun, not doing art work with digital files, etc.   Frankly, the specs
you listed are great - probably far more than you need.  Of course,
being a guy, I always buy the fastest one <G>  Seriously, the last
couple of computers I bought from Dell, I bought refurbished machines
that were "just under the leading edge" -- the cost savings was
substantial.  I did my Christmas letter on a 933 MHZ computer with
512 Meg RAM and I didn't feel like it was slow!  I have hundreds of
digital pictures on the same computer and have no problem with them
though I don't do much but rotate, crop, etc.

Regarding question 2, "Reasons to choose
Windows XP Pro over the Home edition?" there's no reason to use the
Pro over the Home edition unless you plan to have a LAN.  I run both
the Home and the Pro.  I bought the Pro for most computers only
because I could get it cheap and have a LAN.

On question 3, "Is there anything wrong with running my copy of
Office 2000 on Windows XP?", absolutely not.  I used Office 2000 on
both the Pro and Home untill I upgraded to the XP version.

Hope that helps.

 Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",

     ,,,,,,,,
     Ô¿Ô¬
  Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
Friday
01/24/2003
15:38:45

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|:0:|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|

¤¤¤¤¤ On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:04:19 -0500
¤¤¤¤¤ Smith, Robin wrote:
¤
¤ It's time to retire my 5 year-old Pentium 3, 300mHz Micron running
¤ Windows 95. I am looking at a Dell 8250. Here's the configuration:
¤
¤ Windows XP Pro Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.40GHz w/533MHz front side
¤ bus/ 512K L2 Cache 512MB PC1066 RDRAM (2X256 modules) 60GB Ultra
¤ ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive 16 Max DVD-ROM Drive 40x/10x/40x CD-RW
¤ Drive with Roxios Easy CD Creator 17 in 1702FP Dell Ultrasharp(tm)
¤ Digital Flat Panel Display 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX(tm) Graphics
¤ Card with TV-Out SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card Harman
¤ Kardon® HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer WordPerfect® Productivity
¤ Pack with Quicken New User Edition Norton Antivirus® 2003 12-month
¤ subscription upgrade 56K Telephony Modem for Windows Integrated
¤ Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet At work I pretend to be an NT admin but
¤ at home I'm far from from a power user. I basically surf the web,
¤ use email, work with Paint Shop Pro, use a home desktop publishing
¤ program (ala Print Shop or Printmaster), and use Office 2000.
¤ Things that I will be doing differently with the new PC: burning
¤ CDs, connecting a multifunction Printer-Scanner-Copier, connecting
¤ a digital camera and possibly getting cable modem access. I own a
¤ valid, licensed copy of Office 2000.
¤ I basically have three questions: 1) Is there any noticeable
¤ difference between a 2.40 GHz processor and a 2.66Ghz? (The cost
¤ difference from Dell is substantial - $560) 2) Reasons to choose
¤ Windows XP Pro over the Home edition?
¤ 3) Is there anything wrong with running my copy of Office 2000 on
¤ Windows XP?
¤ All advice and opinions are appreciated. This is a great group!
¤ Robin
¤
¤
¤
¤ To unsub or change your email settings:
¤ //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
¤
¤ To access our Archives:
¤ //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/