-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Buying New PC - would like advice

  • From: "BashfulBob" <BashfulBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:58:40 -0600

To Answer your question
2) Reasons to choose Windows XP Pro over the Home edition?

Pro offers better security, administration and a few other features.

I just bought a Sony Vaio NV- 170 with Home edition on it. I did not know
much about laptops, but soon found out that I can not use their PRO system
restore disc's as they tell me there is a code letter in the Bios that
checks and will prevent loading a different kind then what came with it.

It has a lot of preparatory Sony programs I do not want to lose, (Memory
stick reader). If I wipe the HD clean they tell me I can load the pro full
version I got from school. (#10). I have not yet quizzed them on telling me
how to load and keep there programs.

Long winded way of saying if your thinking about upgrading in the future,
give Dell a ring and make sure you can or what you can do, etc.

Bob
Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's