-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Buying New PC - would like advice

  • From: "Grant Karpik" <gkarpik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:00:44 -0800

Change the video card, the MX series are crap. You'd be better off with
a motherboard that uses DDR memory rather than one that uses RDRAM as
RDRAM seems to be becoming a 'niche' memory technology. Try and change
the sound card to a Creative Audigy or Audigy 2. For the difference in
price a 2.4 ghz cpu will be fine. XP Pro is a somewhat more functional
os than Home. Office 2000 will work fine in XP. :)

On 24 Jan 2003 at 11:04, Smith, Robin wrote:

> It's time to retire my 5 year-old Pentium 3, 300mHz Micron running
> Windows 95. I am looking at a Dell 8250. Here's the configuration:
>
> Windows XP Pro
> Pentium=AE 4 Processor at 2.40GHz w/533MHz front side bus/ 512K L2 Cache
> 512MB PC1066 RDRAM (2X256 modules) 60GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
> 16 Max DVD-ROM Drive 40x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive with Roxios Easy CD Creator
> 17 in 1702FP Dell Ultrasharp(tm) Digital Flat Panel Display 64MB DDR
> NVIDIA GeForce4 MX(tm) Graphics Card with TV-Out SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
> Digital Sound Card Harman Kardon=AE HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer
> WordPerfect=AE Productivity Pack with Quicken New User Edition Norton
> Antivirus=AE 2003 12-month subscription upgrade 56K Telephony Modem for
> Windows Integrated Intel=AE PRO 10/100 Ethernet At work I pretend to be =
an
> NT admin but at home I'm far from from a power user. I basically surf
> the web, use email, work with Paint Shop Pro, use a home desktop
> publishing program (ala Print Shop or Printmaster), and use Office 2000.
> Things that I will be doing differently with the new PC: burning CDs,
> connecting a multifunction Printer-Scanner-Copier, connecting a digital
> camera and possibly getting cable modem access. I own a valid, licensed
> copy of Office 2000. I basically have three questions: 1) Is there any
> noticeable difference between a 2.40 GHz processor and a 2.66Ghz? (The
> cost difference from Dell is substantial - $560) 2) Reasons to choose
> Windows XP Pro over the Home edition? 3) Is there anything wrong with
> running my copy of Office 2000 on Windows XP? All advice and opinions
> are appreciated. This is a great group! Robin

...a cat is a diagram and a pattern of subtle air...

Grant Karpik
gkarpik@xxxxxxxxx