-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Freeze!

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:52:42 -0600

Chazz,

First thought- virus. I have seen A LOT of computers that will not restart
due to a virus. UPDATE you av first, and then run the antivirus program.

Second thought driver or hardware conflict. (I know you probably like the
wireless keyboard, but why not run an experiment?)

I am assuming you have all the drivers needed, if this is not the case, I
have a different recommendation.
First, put a "real" keyboard back on and delete the wireless keyboard
drivers. Does it work? ) If yes, then all you need to do to fix it is
determine why it is not working with the wireless keyboard.

If the answer is it does not work, the next step is to go with a different
mouse. In my case, I used a Microsoft or Logitech mouse as  a temp replacement.
If it does work now, then you have to prove one more thing- the keyboard.
Put the wireless keyboard back on, and if the keyboard works, we know the
mouse was the culprit.

Third thought- you have a program that auto-loads at boot up to deactivate
Restart. There are several that do this, and the anti virus program misses
them because they are not a "real" virus- just a pain in the rear bona fide
program. I am sure there are more, but the two I am familiar with are
NoRest.exe and Disrest.exe (Disrest is also available in Disrest.com)

Fourth thought- if you are comfortable with autoexec.bat, open it but do
not edit- and see if there is anything in there you do not recognize.

Fifth thought- again if you are comfortable with looking at the Registry-
look at it to see what loads. CAUTION- Doing too much changing to the
Registry can produce results you don't want- so be careful please.

Robert