-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Burning to CD

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:56:15 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joyce" <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 4:10 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Burning to CD

> I have used floppies mostly but now have a CD burner.  I recently
purchased
> my first digital camera and a new photo printer so I am learning lots of
new
> stuff.  I have pictures on my hard drive that I want to copy to CD, one to
> send to my son and one to keep.  My question is:  Can I simply right click
> on the folder containing the pictures and choose send to D drive? If it is
> that simple why do I need software?  I have Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.
> Need a short course in CD Burning 101!

Not with Easy CD Creator 4 it isn't

Open the software, and it will ask what kind of disc you want to create. In
this case, you are essentially creating a data disc, so choose that option
then a window will open-This is the basic 'burn window'

On the top will be a list of everything on your computer , at the bottom ,
it will be blank. First thing to do is to click on 'VIEW' and choose 'SOURCE
TREE MODE' (Or something similar, I'm looking at a later version than you
have). It will then split the top part of the window, putting a 'Tree'
version of your PC in the left panel, and the right panel will be blank-when
you click on a folder in the left panel, it will show it's contents in the
right panel . This isn't essential, but I find it makes it easier to
navigate around your folders.

OK, whichever method you choose, navigate to the folder that contains your
files and drag them into the blank part of the window..Don't worry if they
aren't all in the same folder,you can select files from as many different
folders as you want-just drag them all into the bottom panel. You can also
drag complete folders into the bottom panel too

You will see at the bottom of the page an indicator showing how much of the
disc you are going to use. Your discs will either be 650mb or 700mb in size.
When you have got all of the files you want in the bottom panel you will
need to press the 'Burn' button.

A new window will open which should ask you what speed you want to burn at
(The default should be the maximum speed of your Writer) and you should see
other options too, such as number of copies to be burned and also some other
options. These will be the 'Record Method'- you will have 'Record', 'Test',
and 'Test and Record'-I think the default is test and record-you can leave
it like this, but it will take twice as long to record each disc as it does
a full test burn before actually doing the write. Personally, I'd change
that to 'Record'.. You will also see 'Recording Methods'...If you are
creating a DATA disc, always choose the 'Track At Once' option, then under
that you have three options-
'Don't Finalise Session' -Don't bother with this option at all
'Close Session, but leave disc open' - If you aren't filling the disc all in
one go,you can leave the disc in an 'open' state, so you can add more data
later.Use this option sparingly, though, especially if you intend using the
disc in other CD drives, as some drives will not be able to 'see' the data
you've burnt. Discs are cheap enough, so it's usually better going for the
last option
''Finalise Disc' - This will close off the disc and may it readable in any
CD drive.

(Note-If you are ever wanting to create a music CD, it is better to burn it
'Disc at once' rather than 'Track At Once')

If you don't have these options, you may have a button marked 'Details' ,
click on that, and they will be in there.

When you've got all that set, hit the 'Burn' button, and the process will
start.

Cheers

Andy