-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 3rd TEST. Please Ignore.

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:51:07 -0500

Well, unfortunately, the security features in Thunderbird really stink.
You can set a master password that needs to be entered in order to be
able to download new mail. BUT, you can't block access to the actual
profile (equivalent to identities in Outlook Express). So, any mail
that's already downloaded and in folders can easily be read.

Just as Firefox has extensions, so too does Thunderbird. They have a
specific extension for password-protecting the profile. However, an
advanced used can probably figure out how to bypass the protection. Its
clearly stated that it will not keep out advanced users. Its a simple
protection scheme to require a password to just open Thunderbird. I
would imagine any advanced user with a heavy desire can play with the
actual data files and open it using another installation of Thunderbird.

What I will be doing is looking into a program that could possibly
encrypt the entire thumbdrive until a password is entered for full
access. If you know of any, do share. Otherwise, as I know other
thumbdrives have their own software that does this, I'm sure I could
find something.

Lastly... I haven't really settled on Thunderbird. I'm using it, and
sort of toying with it. And, although it looks nice visually, I am
unhappy with many of their features and how it works. The mechanics
really stink. Not to mention, for someone with a dozen email addresses
from various domains, it is a pain in the a$$ to create accounts.

I'll be trying out several other email packages as well, including my
old favorite Barca. Gonna see if I can get that one to work off a
thumbdrive.

---Troth