-=PCTechTalk=- Opening a Dell case to put in a hard drive

  • From: "Don Wilcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:13:28 -0400

How new is your Dell?  My Dimension 8300 is about 3 years old and has a clam
shell case.  I hate it and will never have another one (clamshell case or
Dell).

If you have a clamshell case also, lay it down on it side.  Look at the
bottom of the chassis.  There should be an arrow.  If it is not pointing up,
turn the case over.

On the top and on the bottom near the rear of the case should be a rather
large button to push to release the latches, then you lift rather awkwardly
to open the case.  It will open and stay open similar to the way a car hood
opens and stays open.  Simply push/pull down on it to close it and latch it.

Other Dells will have screws or latches on the back that will release one
side of the case cover allowing it to slide off towards the rear similar to
the way a battery cover slips off a cell phone or portable radio.

Really old cases will have have screws on both side on the rear will will
allow the entire cover to slide back a little then lift up and off.

Look in your owners manual, help files, or online support resources to find
instructions to remove it.

If these tips don't help, give me a name and model number so I can go find
pictures or instructions somewhere on the 'net.

Don