[pchelpers] Re: password concerning windows 2000

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jacqueline MacWhirter <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:21:16 -0600

Hi Jacqueline,

Sunday, January 11, 2004, 10:30:16 AM, you wrote:

JM> Hi I do not have a  password on my computer I am operating
JM> windows 2000 pro- I now need to add a password by doing alt -ctrl
JM> -delete but its asking for my old password which I do not have.
JM> Can someone help me out please? Thank you so much-- Jackie

If you're able to log on at all, but don't know the password in order
to change it, here's what you do, will work for the account that
you're currently logged onto:

Click Start->Run
Type: CMD
Press ENTER
You should get a command prompt.
Type: NET USER <yourname> *
Press ENTER
It should ask you to enter the password.  Make sure that you get it
right!  If you don't, you won't be able to log on at all!  You can
simply press ENTER by itself to remove any password.

If you are logged on as Administrator, then you'd type this above:
NET USER ADMINISTRATOR *

--Scott.