[pchelpers] Re: Maxtor Personal Storage 3200

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerald Gollinger <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:42:03 -0500

Hi Gerald,

GG> I already called Maxtor on the USA Internet Relay and the
GG> technician was very helpful. One problem is the 3200 cannot go
GG> into a hub and cannnot go on the front USB port - only on one of
GG> the rear ones. I even got a message on my task bar that USB 2 is
GG> faster than 1.1.

This should affect the speed only; I don't think it would keep the
drive from working completely, although that would presumably depend
upon the design.

I don't know why it would not be able to go into a hub -- unless it is
bus-powered, which I tend to doubt.

GG> With regard to format are you sure that a format is necessary.
GG> Maxtor did not mention this.

It is at some point; either they do it or you do it.  If they did it
already, then no problem.  Since you have the drive working now, then
either it came formatted, or it was formatted for you as part of
whatever steps that the directions had you perform.

--
Scott.