[pasmembers] Re: Fwd: green laser pointer

  • From: Eric Steinberg <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 20:29:39 +0000

Sam, I am in 100% agreement with you on this, hence my reference to William’s
suggestions below. I just find the legal arguments to be a distraction from
the essential point that you make. To take it a step further, I believe that
any club member who observes unsafe laser use should immediately bring in to
the attention of the user as well as club officers and that consequences should
ensue from such behavior.

From: Eric Steinberg <eric@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 12/09/2015 12:19 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi –

Again, as I pointed out in my 11/25 email, the law is against selling a laser
that is over 5mw as a “laser pointer.” there is absolutely nothing wrong with
making or selling higher powered lasers as display devices, scientific devices,
theater equipment, etc. It’s about labelling. What they are trying to avoid
is people buying high-power lasers to use as toys or for presentations where
they are way too bright and present a (slight) risk of possible injury.
Astronomy falls under scientific and/or display use and is perfectly legal all
around.

Lawyers aside, can we please have some common sense here! Thanks, William for
your intelligent email below; as you point out even if your 200mw laser is
incorrectly labelled as 5mw, that’s not your problem but the seller’s.

That said, I hear all AZ police are being equipped with laser power detectors
and will be randomly stopping people to check for FDA compliance. “Are you
carrying any lasers in the vehicle tonight, sir?”

Eric

From: Alex Vrenios <axv@xxxxxxx<mailto:axv@xxxxxxx>>
Date: 11/25/2015 10:57 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sam,

Do you know if the insurance PAS carries against “tripping over tripod legs,
etc.” issues covers an accidental laser beam into an eye? I don’t know if a
flash past someone’s eye can do any damage (I sincerely doubt it), but just in
case it can, it might be comforting to know that we’re covered, even if that
accidental condition isn’t explicitly stated.

By the way, from what I could find online, AZ law says shining a laser at a
“peace officer,” or into an occupied aircraft is unlawful. I found no mention
of any reference to laser color or power limits.

Alex

On Nov 25, 2015, at 9:06 PM, insanas (Redacted sender "insanas" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I am not allowed to give legal advice now that I have retired after 35 years of
practicing.
You asked what I would do. I think the FDA for the last 35 years has given more
breaks to commercial entities and less to consumers. So when the FDA suggests
something is dangerous to consumersb, I wouldn't want to chance hurting
someone. As President of PAS I suggest we all be careful with anything that
could hurt anyone at our star parties. If PAS wants to hire an attorney for
hundreds of dollars for a legal opinion, we could do that. I just suggest we be
as careful as we can unless anyone in our club demands that we get a legal
opinion.
Sam