[pasmembers] Re: Fwd: green laser pointer

  • From: "Peter Turner" <peteturner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:39:22 -0700

Eric,

I did some further checking using the site you gave and others. There are FDA
regulations that restrict manufacturing and sales of laser “pointers” to under
5 milliwatts. They can enforce recalls for mislabeled lasers and lasers greater
than 5mW in power. In addition the FDA’s advice for consumers is:

Audience: Consumers

Product: Hand-held laser pointers that emit 5 milliwatts (mW) output power or
higher.

The FDA recognizes that there are varied and legitimate uses of laser pointers,
including giving presentations, aligning and leveling in construction,
providing gun sights, and pointing to stars. Even lasers under the 5mW limit
can cause harm if not used properly. The FDA recommends the following:

· Do NOT buy laser pointers for children or allow them to use them.
These products are not toys.

· Do NOT buy any laser pointer that emits more than 5 mW output power
and does not have the output power printed on the warning label affixed to the
pointer. Hand-held laser pointers over 5 mW and those that are not properly
labeled are illegal and potentially dangerous.

· Do NOT aim or shine laser pointers at any person, pet, vehicle, or
aircraft directly, or through reflection by mirrors or other shiny surfaces.

· Check the output power of any laser pointer that you own. If it has an
output greater than 5 mW, dispose of it safely according to local environmental
protection guidelines.

· In the event of injury, immediately consult your eye doctor.

This can be found at:
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm237129.htm

Pete Turner