Re: views on views on views

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:49:11 -0700

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Lyndon Tiu <ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jared Still wrote:
>
>> Personally, I like the part where dependency on Java is removed.
>>

> Exactly, as I mentioned in a previous email of where your center of the
> universe is.
>
> If the database is the center of the universe for you, you'd also want your
> database to be NOT dependent on the application. So that tomorrow, you can
> switch to .Net or whatever else and run away with it.

Again, "center of the universe" has nothing to do with it.

My comment was a subtly (too subtle) humorous remark aimed
at the trouble that Java causes in IT shops.  It causes a lot of it.
Mostly due to programming errors I believe.

This whole idea of 'transportability' is completely the wrong way
to go about designing anything.

Use the features of the tools you are using.

The thought that anything other than a really small app can easily
be made to run on another database or moving the app from Java
to .Net or whatever, just create more work and sub-par applications.

Jared