Re: views on views on views

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

"The thought that anything other than a really small app can easily
be made to run on another database or moving the app from Java
to .Net or whatever, just create more work and sub-par applications."

You need a few extra examples for some of these doubters?  I'm sure any number
of us have multi-platform supported applications that we can easily use as
examples of why to be platform centric in your development practices.
Yes, the vendor may get more sales, but how often does he lose a customer in
the end due to a product he can't adequately support, can't supply updates to
all the different supported platforms, etc.?
As a "multi-platform" DBA, I am tired of having to "translate" to support folks
and vendor's developers why a solid choice in one database platform was not a
wise move in another...
Kellyn