RE: views on views on views

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:52:03 -0500

Gangsta,

I have yet to see the abuse of the with clause.  I have only come across
situations where it would help with both performance and readability.
Just last week I was able to re-write some sql to make use of a with
clause.  It dramatically improved performance and gave me an opportunity
to send the developers some links to the documentation and askTom.
Unfortunately, we have people that will find a way to abuse it.

The most recent abuse of oracle functionality I've come across came
after one of the developer's learned of the table function.  All of a
sudden table functions started popping up all over the place.
Unbelievable...and weird.

Mosly I just wanted to write gangsta in an email to oracle-l.

Chris