Subject: views on views on views
From: "Stephens, Chris" <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26-03-2009 19:30

I find myself constantly struggling with developers constructing views
on top of views on top of still other views.  I understand this makes
their job easier in the short run but whenever problems arise that
involve this kind of thing, my blood pressure goes way up trying to
untangle the web.  I've raised concerns in the past but that has gotten
no traction and the practice continues.

I've raised the following concerns:

*         Potentially cripples the optimizer

*         When there is a problem with the set returned by the end-view,
it is a nightmare trying to figure out where the problems is happening

*         Makes it more likely that redundant filters are in place

There are probably more but those three are enough for me.

Do other people on the list have to contend with this issue?

Have you gotten the developers to agree to limiting their use of views
in this way?

Have any of you successfully dealt with the issue and if so, what
arguments did you make that allowed for that?

Thanks!

chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
        This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.